[CentOS] Printing problem with CUPS and lp/lpr

Alfred von Campe

alfred at 110.net
Tue Aug 8 19:21:02 UTC 2006

I know that printing on Linux is somewhat of an art form, but I have
a fairly simple problem.  I used the following command to configure a
networked printer (HP LaserJet 8150):

   lpadmin -p name -E -v socket://name -m laserjet.ppd -u allow:all -
u deny:none

This added and enabled the printer, and I can print to it using the
print command from within a GUI application and PostScript utilities
like enscript.  However, printing simple text files from the command
line using lpr or lp produces undesirable output that looks like this:

   Line 1
         Line 2
                Line 3

It seems rather obvious that the printer is expecting carriage
returns and not getting any.  What is the "right" way to fix this
using CUPS, which "owns" the /etc/printcap file.  I can't be the
first one to run into this issue...

Thanks,
Alfred