[CentOS] Printing problem with CUPS and lp/lpr

Alfred von Campe alfred at 110.net
Wed Aug 9 14:30:40 UTC 2006

On Aug 9, 2006, at 10:04, Tony Schreiner wrote:

> I would use printconf instead of lpadmin. It sets up all the
> necessary filters.

So printconf comes with the system-config-printer RPM, and lpadmin
comes with the cups RPM.  Are they "compatible" with each other?
That is, can I (re)configure a printer I set up with lpadmin using
printconf?  I'm looking for a solution that will allow me to remotely
reconfigure the printer on the dozen Linux workstations I manage.  It
appears the printconf is either a GUI or a TUI, but not a true
command line utility, so it will be more painful to configure the
remote systems.

Having said that, if there is a way to configure the printer just
right on one system, and then copy all the configuration files to the
remote systems, that would work for me as well.  But configuring the
printer just so and determining all the configuration files is where
the magic lies...

Alfred