[CentOS] OT: Measure 2U Server Amp Usage

William L. Maltby BillsCentOS at triad.rr.com
Wed Aug 9 16:11:11 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-08-09 at 11:54 -0400, Dan Pritts wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 01, 2006 at 08:03:58PM -0700, Mark Schoonover wrote:
> ><snip>

> Depending on your application, overprovisioning your power might not
> be a bad thing - next year's servers will probably use more.

Good advice, IMO I have always overpowered the units I build. Theaoy
being that the greater capacity used a much less than rating will run
cooler (assuming the PS had at least cooling design adequate to the
rating). Cooler = longer lived, generally.

I'm still running a 1989 tower chassis (another of my preferences) with
an AMD 100MHz, 36MB ram, couple slow Champ HDs as one of my IPCop
stations. That unit still has original PS or only replacement, not sure
anymore.

I'm sure that rack-mounts powering multiple blades may also benefit from
a little oversizing, although maybe not as much benefit, figuring they
should be more robust at the start.

--
Bill