[CentOS] Least painful MySQL 4.1 -> 5 upgrade on CentOS 4.1

Dan Trainor dan.trainor at gmail.com
Wed Aug 9 22:09:38 UTC 2006

Rodrigo Barbosa wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 09, 2006 at 11:12:42PM +0200, Morten wrote:
>> Hi. I've happily been running MySQL 4.1 on my CentOS 4.1 x86_64 server.
>> But I need to upgrade to MySQL 5. Any recommendations on how to
>> accomplish this without too much pain? I guess I'll need to get RPMs
>> from the MySQL website.
>
> Give the centosplus packages a try. I think you can get MySQL 5 there.
>
> []s

Hi -

I've been running MySQL 5.0.22 out of centosplus/ for a long while now,
in production.  I've had no problems with it.

As always, back up your data, and simply rpm -Uvh it.  You should have
no problems.

Now, if you're talking a 3.x -> 5.x upgrade - I did that a short while
ago.  Let's just say that it's not fun :)

Thanks, and good luck
-dant