[CentOS] Wifi wpa_supplicant with atheros successes or failures?

Max H.

btmanmeh at verizon.net
Thu Aug 10 01:49:02 UTC 2006

I remember being a small part of and following this thread a few months
ago.

<http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2006-May/065091.html>

I've been attempting a go at getting wpa_supplicant running on CentOS
4.3 and haven't had much luck. I'm assuming my failure is my lack of
knowledge on the subject, but anyways.

First, my normal setup is as follows:

IBM Thinkpad R40
Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5211 802.11ab NIC
(rev 01)

Works great and has been working great for over a year now off the
madwifi drivers at <http://atrpms.net/dist/el4/madwifi/>.

I've done a bit of Googling the past few days as well. One link I follow
it mentions about CentOS/RHEL not supporting wpa_supplicant in the
current kernel, and that you'd have to recompile your kernel. Other
threads I've read of successes, but usually not much detail is provided
and it's done so through compiling the drivers and what not.

My question is:

Has anyone had success off the RPMs on atrpms? I've attempted a shot at
it with these: <http://atrpms.net/dist/el4/wpa_supplicant/> and haven't
had much luck. It installs after I get a few dependencies and I can
configure the .conf file, but after that it just gets really upset about
doing anything.

Perhaps I can't get it working due to confusion of the packages that I
need or don't need. Currently, I'm running the kernel module packages
from the madwifi section at atrpms.

Any thoughts, help, or comments from the peanut gallery are greatly
appreciated. :)

Thanks!

Max