[CentOS] OT: Measure 2U Server Amp Usage

Dan Pritts danno at internet2.edu
Thu Aug 10 22:04:28 UTC 2006

On Wed, Aug 09, 2006 at 09:16:39AM -0700, Karl Balsmeier wrote:

>   It
> was interesting to see it spike up to 1.7.  When reading the stickers
> on the power supply unit, can we safely conclude that the +5V = 0 -
> 2 is actually saying "this power supply goes between 0 and 2 amps".
> There are alot of numbers and symbols, but this is the one relevant to
> our discussion right?

I can't say definitively about the labels on the PSU, but I *can*
tell you that only part of your system load is 5V - it also uses 12V.
This is (mostly? entirely?) for mechanical stuff, eg drive & fan motors.

>   Anyone care to explain the +5V and -5V stuff?

I believe +5V means 5v dc negative ground (what we generally work with
when we talk about DC).

-5V means positive ground.  Positive ground is used on some older cars &
motorcycles, and in telco equipment.

danno