[CentOS] Subversion: 400 Bad request error

Jean Figarella

jfigarella at vecna.com
Fri Aug 11 15:51:35 UTC 2006

Here is my problem,
On my network there is a subversion server to which everybody connects
to and checks in/out code and documents. The workstations on the network
are all based on Fedora core 3. And everybody's home directory is on a
nfs share. This nfs share is mounted via the fstab. So no matter to
which box a user logs in, his/her home dir is gonna be the same.

Again, /home is a nfs mounted dir. Now, if I am on Fedora and I cd into
/home/jean/dev/ for exmaple, and then I do svn update everything works
fine. But if I do the same on centos 4.3; cd /home/jean/dev and then svn
update, it gives me this error:

bash-3.00$ cd ~/dev/sysadmin/
bash-3.00$ svn update
svn: REPORT request failed on '/svn/code/!svn/vcc/default'
svn: REPORT of '/svn/code/!svn/vcc/default': 400 Bad Request
(https://subversion)
bash-3.00$
bash-3.00$ cd /local/new_dev/sysadmin/
bash-3.00$ svn update
At revision 30009.
bash-3.00$

As you can see if I am still on centos and I create a /local on the
*local drive*, then I can check out code or documents there and do
everything else. Again, while I am on the nfs mounted dir it does not
works, once I get out of the nfs dir then it works.

Authentication is done via NIS, so uid and gid is the same under both
distributions and computers. I also checked nfs access permision on the
/etc/exports files and both computers or hosts have the same set of
permissions.

The subversion version on Fedora is 1.2.1 and in centos 4.3 it is 1.1.4.
I have already tried upgrading to the same subversion version and to
more recent ones, and that did not work.

I am thinking that maybe this is not a subversion error because I can
sucessfully use it from fedora 3 anf 5, and debian. I think it has to do
with CentOS. I was looking to upgrade all of the FC3 boxes in my network
to CentOS (about 30 of them), but with this problem Ill have to stick
with Fedora.

Any ideas?
Thanks,
Jean