[CentOS] Subversion: 400 Bad request error

Jean Figarella jfigarella at vecna.com
Fri Aug 11 16:47:15 UTC 2006

Paul Heinlein wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Aug 2006, Jean Figarella wrote:
>

>> Here is my problem,
>> On my network there is a subversion server to which everybody connects to and
>> checks in/out code and documents. The workstations on the network are all
>> based on Fedora core 3. And everybody's home directory is on a nfs share. This
>> nfs share is mounted via the fstab. So no matter to which box a user logs in,
>> his/her home dir is gonna be the same.
>>
>> Again, /home is a nfs mounted dir. Now, if I am on Fedora and I cd into
>> /home/jean/dev/ for exmaple, and then I do svn update everything works fine.
>> But if I do the same on centos 4.3; cd /home/jean/dev and then svn update, it
>> gives me this error:
>>
>> bash-3.00$ cd ~/dev/sysadmin/
>> bash-3.00$ svn update
>> svn: REPORT request failed on '/svn/code/!svn/vcc/default'
>> svn: REPORT of '/svn/code/!svn/vcc/default': 400 Bad Request
>> (https://subversion)
>> bash-3.00$
>> bash-3.00$ cd /local/new_dev/sysadmin/
>> bash-3.00$ svn update
>> At revision 30009.
>> bash-3.00$
>>

> On the CentOS box, can you cleanly check out a copy of the repository
> to somewhere else in your NFS-mounted home directory? E.g.,
>
> mkdir ~/svn-tmp
> cd ~/svn-tmp
> svn co [...]
>
> If so, I'd be interested to compare the output of 'svn info' from the
> test checkout with that of the one in ~/dev.
>

>> The subversion version on Fedora is 1.2.1 and in centos 4.3 it is
>> 1.1.4. I have already tried upgrading to the same subversion version
>> and to more recent ones, and that did not work.
>>
>> I am thinking that maybe this is not a subversion error because I
>> can sucessfully use it from fedora 3 anf 5, and debian. I think it
>> has to do with CentOS. I was looking to upgrade all of the FC3 boxes
>> in my network to CentOS (about 30 of them), but with this problem
>> Ill have to stick with Fedora.
>>

> The presence of the near-ancient Subversion 1.1.4 in RHEL 4/CentOS 4
> is a constant sore spot around my workplace. I feel your pain. :-)

On my CentOS I cannot check out code anywhere on my NFS-mounted home.
svn simply does not work on the NFS. I tried other users and the same
thing happens. I've tried mounting the home directory manually, double
checked that uids and gids are correct, upgraded to subversion-1.3.2-1
and nfs utils version, checked the /etc/export file from the nfs server,
and everything looks right. I don't know why I CentOS giving me this
problem.

Thanks for your help.

-Jean