[CentOS] Problems with x86_64 kickstart

Tracy R Reed treed at ultraviolet.org
Sat Aug 12 23:06:46 UTC 2006

Tracy R Reed wrote:
> VFS: Cannot open root device "<NULL>" or unknown-block(8,2)
> Pleas append a correct "root=" boot option
> Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
> unknown-block(8,2)

Another datapoint:

My pxeboot config file (named with the mac address of the machine and
downloaded by tftp) looks like this:

default centos
timeout 5
prompt 1
display msgs/boot.msg

label centos
   kernel CentOS4.3/x86_64/vmlinuz
   append initrd=CentOS4.3/x86_64/initrd.img ramdisk_size=7000
ksdevice=eth0 ks=http://192.168.0.7/network-install/ks.cfg.x86_64

If I change the three instances of x86_64 to i386 everything works
perfectly and it installs the i386 version. I thought maybe my x86_64
kernel and initrd that I copies from disc1/images/pxeboot were corrupt
but I just downloaded them again from
http://mirror.centos.org/centos/4/os/x86_64/images/pxeboot/ and they
md5sum the same.

--