[CentOS] Several files's checksum change without reason

kadafax kadafax at gmail.com
Mon Aug 14 09:48:37 UTC 2006

Peter Kjellström wrote:
> On Saturday 12 August 2006 19:10, kadafax wrote:
>
>> Hi list,
>> I'm a bit worried here. On a server, Centos 4.3 fully-patched SELinux
>> activated, Osiris (a decentralized scanner for files changes on distant
>> servers) signaled me several changes on files who were not (at first
>> sight) affected by a recent update (the list is below).
>> Is there a logic explanation for those changes to happen ? The "rpm -Va"
>> command does not output md5sum change for those files.
>>

> most likely prelink, rpm -V knows about prelink and is as such able to do the
> checksums regardless. prelink can be turned of in /etc/sysconfig/prelink if
> you don't want it.
>
> /Peter

Indeed the /var/log/prelink.log file shows changes related to my concern.
I've looked at /usr/share/doc/prelink-0.3.3/prelink.pdf and one of the
first thing said is that "it speeds up the launch of Open Office by 5
sec on a p3 650Mhz" ... Of course it doesn't only do that, but I'm not
sure I really need it.  Are there real advantages of using prelink in
Centos for server purpose  ? (actually a ssh gateway, but it's the same
on a mail server)
Thanks.
kfx.