[CentOS] Video Card Not Recognized Installing CentOS 3.7

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Mon Aug 14 22:55:42 UTC 2006

> I had to use '/sbin/telinit 3' and hit enter to see the prompt line.
> >> 2. How do I restart the X server when the driver is installed?

This is because you missed the part where I said the '-' was crucial
to the command. If you just use su to access the root account, then
your uid changes, but it's not treated as a login shell, so you don't
get the full PATH variables sourced. If you use 'su -'  then it
becomes a root login shell, and you get the extra goodies associated
with the root account. use 'man su' to get all the details if you're
curious.

George Orwell