[CentOS] Running firefox on a remote host on centos-4

Sam Drinkard sam at wa4phy.net
Tue Aug 15 00:31:44 UTC 2006

John Masters wrote:

> On 8/14/06, *Joshua Baker-LePain* <jlb17 at duke.edu
> <mailto:jlb17 at duke.edu>> wrote:
>
>     On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 at 9:25pm, John Masters wrote
>
>     > On 8/14/06, Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 at duke.edu
>     <mailto:jlb17 at duke.edu>> wrote:
>     >>
>     >> On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 at 9:07am, Peter Kjellström wrote
>     >>
>     >> > On Friday 11 August 2006 22:15, Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:
>     >> >> Back in the day (read: before the latest firefox update), I
>     used to be
>     >> >> able to ssh to a remote box, run 'firefox -local', and have
>     that box
>     >> fire
>     >> >
>     >> > hmm.. -no-xshm works for me, never heard of -local :-)
>     >>
>     >> Really?  It doesn't work for me.  I still get another instance
>     of the
>     >> local firefox session.  Ditto for --no-xshm, --noshm, and -noshm.
>     >>
>     > I may be missing something here but all I do is ssh -X remote.domain
>
>     Oh, I've got remote X working just fine.  It's just getting firefox to
>     actually run on the remote box that's the issue.
>
> Sorry, I'm not a Linux guru and I may be off centre here, but ssh -X
> remote.domain then at command prompt firefox opens up firefox on my
> remote machine or gedit opens gedit or xxxx opens whatever X app.
> Running bog standard CentOS 4.3 with no extra repos and all updates.
>
> John

Try ssh into the remote machine.  Open an xterm as with "xterm -display
<your localhost:0> .  At that point, you can open any X based
application from the remote machine you wish from that xterm.  You must
enable the local machine in the remote host's xhost file, and it has to
be done from local. You cannot add an xhost via remote.  This has worked
for me with no issues at all.

Sam