[CentOS] Managing updates to non-centos packages

Lucas Chan

lucas at sitepoint.com
Wed Aug 16 05:20:39 UTC 2006

Hi,

I'm looking for some documentation (or advice) on how to best manage
a -mostly- upstream binary compatible CentOS installation.

I enabled the rpmforge repository in order to install a few packages
not available in base/updates/centosplus.  But, now when I do a "yum
check-update" yum wants to update a whole stack of packages because
it's found newer versions at rpmforge.

Is there a way to tell yum to only pull updates from rpmforge for
packages that were initially installed from rpmforge?

I've been using the includepkgs directive with some success; although
installing a package that has a dozen or so dependancies (from
rpmforge) quickly makes this method seem not so elegant.

Is there a better way?  I'm going around in circles a bit with the
official yum documentation.

Obviously what I'm aiming for is to be as close to 100% binary
compatible with the upstream provider as possible, and to also easily
pull the latest updates for all my packages.

Thanks in advance, I hope you're all having a good week.

Regards,

LC.