[CentOS] Managing updates to non-centos packages :: SOLVED

Lucas Chan lucas at sitepoint.com
Wed Aug 16 07:16:53 UTC 2006

> Is there a way to tell yum to only pull updates from rpmforge for
> packages that were initially installed from rpmforge?

I accidentally stumbled across a good solution after following a link
to the CentOS SVN Wiki page (which someone kindly posted to this list
earlier).

http://wiki.centos.org/PackageManagement/Yum/ProtectBase

"The purpose of the protectbase plugin is to protect certian
repositories from updates from other repositories. Repositories that
are to be protected will not be updated by newer files from non
protected repositories. This plugin is recommended for anyone who
routinely enables 3rd party repositories, as these non-CentOS
repositories may update certian system files, potentially causing
your CentOS installation to become unstable."

Wicked!

I thought I should post it here in case someone searches the list
with the same problem.

Thanks for your help, Morten.  I hope this is useful for you?

LC.