[CentOS] Email dictionary attacks and firewall

Tom Brown tom at ng23.net
Wed Aug 16 11:13:30 UTC 2006

>> I wonder if there is a way that a firewall rule could be written, that
>> would let a trickle of the connection from Joe through, so as his
>> dictionary attack gets backed up with a huge number of connections which
>> are trickling through at such a slow rate, with maybe just enough delay
>> built in to make it keep trying.... Basically making Joe's compromised
>> computer useless.. and maybe he'd at least turn it off if it didn't lock
>> up all by itself....

i knew someone once that wrote a countermeasures script that basically
kept a look out for script kiddie type attacks. It was pretty good and
he showed me once where he pointed a win2k box at his firewall and
launched an 'attack' at which point the firewall did its thing and the
win2k workstation bluescreened - was pretty funny to watch but not
entirely sure about the legality of counterattacks.