[CentOS] Printing problem with CUPS and lp/lpr

Alfred von Campe alfred at 110.net
Wed Aug 16 14:15:15 UTC 2006

On Aug 9, 2006, at 13:14, Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu wrote:

I've been away for a while, so I am just trying this now.

> Instead, use
> foomatic-configure to set up/configure your print queue(s) for CUPS.
> It's simple to use.

I read the man page, and configured the printer using foomatic-
configure using the following command:

   foomatic-configure -s cups -n <printername> -N "HP LaserJet 8150" \
   -c socket://<printername> -d Postscript -p HP-LaserJet_8150

It's working much better.  Printing from any GUI application works
just fine.  Printing plain text files from the command line using lpr
now properly includes carriage returns.  However, the first 1.5 or so
characters are chopped off the left margin (the second half of the
second character is the first thing that prints), and the lines are
truncated if they exceed the width of the page.  Now I know I can use
something like enscript, which works just fine, but I was wondering
if there is a way to configure the printer so that lpr doesn't chop
off the beginning and end of the line.

Thanks,
Alfred