[CentOS] Customizing Gnome

Alfred von Campe

alfred at 110.net
Wed Aug 16 15:45:00 UTC 2006

This is not really CentOS specific, but I'm using and supporting
Gnome on CentOS 4.3 systems, and there are a few Gnome issues that I
haven't been able to resolve that I thought this list might be able
to help with.

On my home CentOS 4.3 system, which was originally a CentOS 3.X
system (i.e., I ran Gnome from the same user account then as I do
now), when I log in to the Gnome desktop, I only have a "menu bar" at
the bottom of the screen.  On the new 4.3 systems at work, I have a
menu bar at the top of the screen and another bar at the bottom of
the screen.  Each one is about half the height of the one on my home
system.  It appears that some setting in a Gnome configuration file
in my home directory must be causing this, but I haven't figure out
which one.  Any ideas?

The next issue is that one of my users asked me if it was possible to
add additional entries to the Applications menu.  I haven't found
anything in the on-line help to point me in the right direction.

Finally, another user would like to be able to open up a Terminal
window with the working directory set to whatever is currently shown
in the Nautilus file browser, and again, I haven't found a way to do
this.  I do realize that you can drag a folder icon from a Nautilus
window to a Terminal window and that it will past the path into the
Terminal window which you can use as an argument to cd, but it's not
as elegant as say right-clicking on a folder and picking "Open in
Terminal Window".

Any pointer to a fine manual to read are appreciated, as are outright
solutions of course :-).

Alfred