[CentOS] XFS and CentOS 4.3

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Aug 16 21:02:29 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-08-16 at 15:12 -0500, Aleksandar Milivojevic wrote:

> <flame mode="on">
> Now, I wouldn't call this kind of thing "stable" operating system or
> "stable" file system.  If application asks for too much memory it
> should get killed (btw, system had 1 gig of RAM and application asked
> for like 600 meg, plus there was plenty of swap space free too -- so I
> wouldn't call this a case of app asking too much).

Just because you have some memory to spare doesn't mean that
malloc() can hand you 600 megs of contiguous memory.  And I've
lost track of what the fashionable way of handling VM is
now.  Is it the slow but sure "check first and fail if
impossible" or the fast and dirty "always succeed and worry about
paging later"?  Or is it user-configurable now?  Usually I just
allocate 2 gigs of swap on the theory that if it goes that far the
machine will be so unresponsive I'll think it's dead anyway.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com