[CentOS] Nvidia Geforce 5200 graphic card

Philip Wyett philipwyett at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Aug 17 08:16:52 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-08-17 at 10:17 +0300, Alexandru Chiscan wrote:
> Philip Wyett wrote:
> > On Thu, 2006-08-17 at 05:45 +0530, Sudev Barar wrote:
> >
> >> On 17/08/06, Philip Wyett <philipwyett at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> >> [SNIP]

> >> [SNIP]

> >> [SNIP]
> >>
> >> Excellent howto but..
> >>
> >> Are the two reboots needed? Why not stop gdm/kdm/whatever from console
> >> while logged in as root and do the install and edits and then again
> >> restart. You can simply do this by giving command "telinit 3" while
> >> logged in as root from "Alt+Ctl+f1" (console 1) and again "telinit 5"
> >> to restart.
> >>
> >> or am I going wrong somewhere?
> >>

> > As I explained you can use telinit, but for me it's just a preference
> > not to and I feel the method I used is easier for new comers who really
> > don't need the shortcuts so early in their Linux lives.
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Phil
> >
> to learn others bad practice (restarting the system if not necessary is
> one of them) is not good - especially
> if they are newcomers; not to mention that what Sudet Barar suggested is
> much faster and easier.
>
> Lec

If it was a server where uptime was important then use of telinit would
be appropriate. But not many folks install the proprietary nvidia driver
on servers and for workstations or laptops reboots don't really matter.
Describing it as bad practice is ridiculous.

In the mail I clearly mentioned telinit could be used but did not expand
on it, just specified I personally did not use it as is my choice.
Should I spend more of my time writing all the possible options just to
make some people happy - Not a chance, I've got plenty of other non and
CentOS related work to do!

Regards

Phil