[CentOS] Nvidia Geforce 5200 graphic card

William L. Maltby BillsCentOS at triad.rr.com
Thu Aug 17 11:52:11 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-08-16 at 23:54 +0100, Philip Wyett wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-08-16 at 15:58 -0500, Corwin Burgess wrote:
> > Josep M. wrote:
> > > Hello.
> > >
> > > I have a Nvidia Geforce 5200 graphic card, the quality much is less that
> > ><snip>

>  * Obtain root privileges using 'su -' and entering the root password.
>  * Open and edit '/etc/inittab' with your preferred editor and change
>    the line:
>
>     id:5:initdefault:

>     id:3:initdefault:

My suggestion here is to forgo the edit. Just reboot, enter grub and add
the run level desired at the end of the (usually) 2nd line for an entry
that specifies the root file system.

Reasoning is straight forward: one less change to go wrong. Risk: if you
end up unexpectedly booting again and *if* you forget to enter grub edit
again, you are back into run level 5, possibly with the wrong video card
specified. But a quick switch to any virtual console to make repairs
gets one by that, so I consider the risk acceptable

>    This will change your runlevel from 5 (graphical) to 3 (text). Save
>    the changes and exit the editor.
>
>    Note: Some people use telinit, but I prefer not to as I newer cards
>          as well as older ones.

I prefer it, but have found it unreliable... wait, telinit is OK, it's
the surrounding activities that go awry. The few times I've telinit'd
from 5 to 3 to 5, I've had problems.

Referring to the rest of the posts about reboot vs. telinit, one should
recall that there are certain levels of reset that occur on warm boot
and others still on cold boot. Whether these are important here I don't
know, but caution at a cheap price is a good value.

Presuming that one has actually *planned* the change, one will shutdown,
install and boot. So what's the issue about boot vs. (tel)init? Lack of
planning? At some point the BIOS ESCD is updated, so you'll want to boot
after installing the card anyway... he-he NOPE! Install and never boot
or install HOT!  =:-O

--
Bill