[CentOS] Can I install Centos on Segate ST3160812AS ( SATA II ) Harddisk

Dan Halbert halbert at bbn.com
Thu Aug 17 13:57:13 UTC 2006

Asky Lee wrote:
> HI
> Can I install Centos on Segate ST3160812AS ( SATA II ) Harddisk?

Yes, we do it all the time. BUT, some older SATA controllers (notably
VIA) will not see the SATA-II disk. This is obvious during bootup, as
the SATA-controller BIOS will not see the disk.  You need to put a
jumper on to force the disk to SATA-I. See
http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/faq/sata_lock.html. Watch out: as
the note says, this is a smaller 2mm jumper, not a more conventional
2.54mm (0.1 inch) jumper.