[CentOS] CentOSPlus kernel - Request for input

Steve Huff shuff at vecna.org
Fri Aug 18 01:49:48 UTC 2006

On Aug 17, 2006, at 6:17 PM, Johnny Hughes wrote:

> I am building the new CentOSPlus kernel for i386/x86_64.
>
> It is based on the 2.6.9-42.EL kernel that will be part of CentOS-4.4.
>
> Currently it has all the features of the older plus kernels and all
> the
> items turned on by the upstream provider in their main kernel ...
> except
> that XFS is being removed from this kernel (and added by a standalone
> module that has newer sgi code for xfs).
>
> I am not going to add patches to the kernel, but I will entertain
> requests to turn on features that are included and require users to
> have
> to recompile their kernels (that don't require adding patches).

despite the fact that you said that you won't patch the kernel, i
can't help but submit a plea for a reinstatement of the legacy LSI
MegaRAID driver (documented here: http://www.tuxyturvy.com/blog/
index.php?url=archives/4-Installing-RHEL4-on-Systems-with-Legacy-
Megaraid-Drivers.html)

i haven't yet encountered a Red Hat/CentOS kernel release under which
the legacy megaraid driver didn't build, and i suspect this would be
helpful to people other than just me.  it installs just find
alongside the new megaraid drivers and doesn't conflict with them or
confuse kudzu.

please?

-steve

---
If this were play'd upon a stage now, I could condemn it as an
improbable fiction.  - Fabian, Twelfth Night