[CentOS] CentOSPlus kernel - Request for input

William L. Maltby BillsCentOS at triad.rr.com
Fri Aug 18 15:21:47 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-08-17 at 21:49 -0400, Steve Huff wrote:
> On Aug 17, 2006, at 6:17 PM, Johnny Hughes wrote:
>
> > I am building the new CentOSPlus kernel for i386/x86_64.
> ><snip>

> > I am not going to add patches to the kernel, but I will entertain
> > requests to turn on features that are included and require users to
> > have
> > to recompile their kernels (that don't require adding patches).
>
> despite the fact that you said that you won't patch the kernel, i
> can't help but submit a plea for a reinstatement of the legacy LSI
> MegaRAID driver (documented here: http://www.tuxyturvy.com/blog/
> index.php?url=archives/4-Installing-RHEL4-on-Systems-with-Legacy-
> Megaraid-Drivers.html)<snip>

And with the floodgates thus opened ... :-)

The facility described here

    http://rick.vanrein.org/linux/badram/index.html

and raved about at so many places when you google for it seems that it
would benefit a very large user community here. Debi an includes it?
Mandriva too?

For the admins that have 24/7 high-availability operations, this would
be a super benefit. If it's a remote, even better.

For little fish like me that eke 15 years out of all sorts of eqpt, also
a boon.

No performance hit. I have used it in my past LFS life and can attest to
its effectiveness.

If you don't include it, NP. I may start building my own kernels again.
Not my preference, but that's how useful it is to me.

BTW, google for endorsements much more authoritative than mine. You'll
probably like it regardless of your decision.

--
Bill