[CentOS] Re: extending ext3 filesystem on logical volume

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Fri Aug 18 22:49:56 UTC 2006

James Marcinek spake the following on 8/17/2006 5:08 PM:
> do you use resize2fs to do this. If so can you give an example so I make
> sure I do the syntax properly (man page doesn't show)
>
> thanks,
>
> james
>
> Scott Silva wrote:
>> James Marcinek spake the following on 8/17/2006 3:32 PM:
>>> hello all,
>>>
>>> I am trying to expand my /var file system which resides on a logical
>>> volume. I successfully issued the lvextend command. However when I try
>>> to issue the ext2online command I receive a return code of 3 which the
>>> man pages indicates:
>>>
>>> ext2online /var
>>> ext2online v1.1.18 - 2001/03/18 for EXT2FS 0.5b
>>> ext2online: group 0, block 7 not reserved
>>>
>>> ext2online: unable to resize /dev/mapper/root_vg-lv_var
>>>
>>> echo $?
>>> 3
>>>
>>> 3    Error in pre-resizing (user space) operation
>>>
>>> Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong. I would prefer doing this
>>> online...
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>>
>>> James
>> I think it would be much safer to do it offline.
>> Online resizing only came to be in kernel 2.6.7 somewhere, and I
>> haven't seen
>> anything saying it was real safe yet.

resize2fs /dev/volgroup/volname should resize the filesystem to fill the
extended space. You could try it with the trial run parameter to check.
But this is offline...
Next time look at e2fsadm. It can resize the logical volume and the ext2/3
filesystem in one command. Look at
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/extendlv.html

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...