[CentOS] [OT] RedHat's licence, CentOS rebuild

Alain Reguera alain.reguera at gmail.com
Fri Aug 18 23:43:00 UTC 2006

On 8/18/06, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:
> Alain Reguera wrote:
> > if I understand, the CentOS project is not just supported technically
> > by the CentOS Developers Team but financially too ?, in case of close.
>
> correct.
>
> > Could be the issue of the CentOS Developers be redhat's customers a
> > relationship with redhat ? ( supposing that if they pay for something
> > they becomes customers of that).
> >

> none of the CentOS devlopers are directly customers of Redhat for the
> distro products ( that i am aware of ) , some of them might be via
> commerical / work place routes )

But if there is a close, they have to. right? I think, in order to
keep CentOS alive.

> Allowed by whom ? Most of the CentOS developers are not based in the US,
> and neither are US laws applicable to anything that we do!
>
> And anyway, where can I find such a list where RH products are not
> permitted ?

the list was shown to me from fedora core 5 no redhat, I have no
redhat cds to look for it. In fedora the list can be found in the
first CD in the file eula.txt in the Export Control section in the 67
line. Or in the url:
http://olpc.download.redhat.com/olpc/rawhide-snapshots/2006-05-27-0237/eula.txt

> >> CentOS does not distribute our product in any places where the United
> >> States export laws prohibit distribution.
>
> CentOS isnt a US product, if anything is a UK based entity, and there
> are no restrictions on anyone using it - whatever part of the world they
> might be from, unless the GPL thinks otherwise.

Even when redhat would have a list similar to what fedora has?.

> --
> Karanbir Singh : http://www.karan.org/ : 2522219 at icq

my Regards to you and your Time
Al.