[CentOS] Tape backup question.

Paul Schoonderwoerd paul at pollux-it.nl
Sat Aug 19 09:23:47 UTC 2006

On Saturday 19 August 2006 11:10, Geert Batsleer wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I want to backup my PE2800 on tape but I'm not sure how to do this.
>
> My PE2800 has a RAID5 setup with 2 72GB SCSI disks and a Seagate DAT-2 72GB
> internal tape-streamer and I'm running Centos 4.3 with the latest yum
> updates.
>
> I'm not sure if this tape-streamer is recognised by the OS properly because
> it doesn't show up along with my DVD/floppy
>
> I also recieved with the server a copy of Galaxy Express software from Dell
> but from what it looks this seems to be more of a client/server
> backupprogram and not really functional on a standalone server.
>
> So how does one backs up + restores a complete HD (incl. MBR) like a ghost
> image or something on a tape. Any good software or howto's you can suggest
> would be much appreciated.
>
> kind regards,
>
> Geert

Geert,

Have a look at the mt command. This will amongst other things show you the
status of the tapedrive ( mt -f /dev/mt0 status ). /dev/mt0 is most likely
the devicename for your tapedrive.

I can recommend Lone-tar from www.cactus.com. Have long time experience with
it, very good and solid. Bare metal restore from two floppies (or CD) and
your tape in under 2 hours. Lots of options but still easy. You can download
a trial version.
Costs somewhere between 400 and 500 Euro's. If that's is too much, have a look
at Bacula. No personal experience with that though.

Good luck,
--
Paul Schoonderwoerd
Pollux IT - Open Source oplossingen & Netwerkbeveiliging