[CentOS] info: Apache 2 bandwidth limitation problems solved

dan1

dan1 at edenpics.com
Sat Aug 19 10:43:32 UTC 2006

Hello all,

Just a little info for users of Apache 2 amoung you who use bandwidth limitation, mainly ISPs.
I was using mod_bwshare (old: bw_share), one of the only bandwidth limitation by IP available, during one year with big problems for the bandwidth limitation (by IP and maximum amount), on CentOS 4. That introduced a slowness on the apache server and depending on the main DNS used, it did result in pages being stuck for about 5 seconds every so often. It was hard to define where the problem came from (apache, php, mysql, etc..).

Now the problem has been found, and this has been solved in mod_bwshare V0.2.0. It did force a double hostname lookup before, which was not needed and slowed down the user's response time of apache. The DNS requests are now also much less frequent, only one per new IP logged, instead of more than 10 per seconds before.
I think that now it is very reliable (tested on my production server), and thus it might interest some of you.

Hope this helps someone, sorry if it disturbs anybody but I felt this important to tell it here as I had no answer when I posted my requests to find the solution.

Greetings,
Daniel