[CentOS] [OT] RedHat's licence, CentOS rebuild

Alain Reguera alain.reguera at gmail.com
Sat Aug 19 13:41:24 UTC 2006

On 8/18/06, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:

> >> CentOS isnt a US product, if anything is a UK based entity, and there
> >> are no restrictions on anyone using it - whatever part of the world they
> >> might be from, unless the GPL thinks otherwise.
> >
> > Even when redhat would have a list similar to what fedora has?.
>
> that is your assumption :) And besides Redhat is a US based commercial
> entity, and might be subject to legal or commercial regulations. Who
> knows, I dont. The software is open source. And while a very large
> portion of 'upstream' is sitting inside Redhat - this 'upstream' does
> release under open source licenses.
>
> you should seek legal council for details on this issue and how it might
> affect you in your country, if you are so concerned about it.

Thanks, Karan. Feel your kindness here. I really would like to know
someone who can clear this to me, I am just a user that have been
using redhat based products since few years (maybe 2), and reached to
love its way. But that list put us upset that afternoon, feeling
depreciated by them.

Our question was, why continue using something that they don't want we
use, even in a rebuild from them?, but even worst when we reached to
love them?. (please, no offence here)

For that reason, get into my neuronal war and ask you pals. That was
the reason of asking what was exactly the difference between centos
and redhat. Because if CentOS is completely different to redhat, and
though don't have this discriminatory list on it, Cause we believe in
open source, no matter that one bad guy set us apart because you
consider us. open source permit that in a honestly way (I think).

I am a guy that don't want that my infront sidewalk neighbors use my
software, but only the same sidewalk houses that are around me. So one
modest guy in the houses around rebuild the software I do. They
believe in open source and share to all and release them to the
worldwide (including the infront sidewalk pals too). The infront
sidewalk pals appreciate the modest guy that release a rebuild, even
for their comrades in the same sidewalk around whom haven't the money
to pay the software. If it is possible that, even people who build a
software by any reason don't want to others to use them but release
their sources (by now, or in a future close, the modest guy would have
to buy in order to rebuild and continue with its noble cause ahead)
and permit rebuild of one way or another.

So, does the open source permit to those that are no permitted by the
main builder to use one software, use the rebuilt software from them,
if a rebuilder (that can do it) release it without cost and without
that discriminatory list? Thinking so because the modest rebuild is
not a work that apply the commercial laws of the sidewalk around of
that, that do. Is that right Karan?

But if there is some type of dependency from redhat that propagates
its rules and politics to the rebuilds, feel like all the battle
swords of my neuronal war passing through my chest :(

For that, want to know exactly the difference between redhat and
centos. Jut to be in the place I would with what is  permitted to me,
in order to live my live honestly.

I really appreciate you guys, feel you are brilliant minds and I learn
a lot with your comments. Know this maybe is a little out of topic,
and that your patience has a limit too(hope don't be very near yet :).

> --
> Karanbir Singh : http://www.karan.org/ : 2522219 at icq

my Regards to you and your Time
Al.