[CentOS] CentOS vs. Nokia Phones

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Sat Aug 19 16:08:08 UTC 2006

On Sat, 19 Aug 2006, Rodrigo Barbosa wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 19, 2006 at 04:15:41PM +0200, Dag Wieers wrote:
> > Thanks for answering your own question and making a difference !
> > This mail caused me to rethink the current openobex support.
> >
> > The problem is that Red Hat is still at openobex 1.1 in FC5, while the
> > latest release is 1.3. So I am sticking to openobex 1.1 for now.
>
> Humm, that would be a problem for me, because:
>
> ==quote==
> http://openobex.triq.net/devices/nokia#nokia_6230
>
> Nokia 6230
>
> Works with openobex-1.2 & ObexFTP-0.19.
> ==quote==

That's a pitty.

> Anyway, I didn't know you followed FC5 versions. I thought that was
> more like Karan's repo. Then again, at least your repository is not
> spin-crazy like atrpms (I very afraid to use packages from there).

Dries is building for FC4 and FC5. We don't exactly follow FC5 except that
EL5 is based on FC5 and I used FC5 to make expectations about library
versions.

FC1 was the first distribution that had openobex (1.0.1). FC5 only has
1.1. So I expect EL5 to have openobex 1.1. I cannot add a higher rpmforge
openobex in EL4 than will ship with EL5. (In fact, technically I can, but
I will not)

I have been shipping libraries before Red Hat did and in some cases my
versions in eg. EL3 exceeded was what then suddenly supported in EL4 and
this makes it much harder to support both EL3 and EL4 applications that
depend on these libraries. So whenever I can, I try to make sure that
whatever I ship in EL4 does not exceed what is released with the latest
Red Hat release (currently FC5).

Currently that means shipping openobex 1.1 in order not to break
gnome-bluetooth or other stuff that will ship with EL5 and to maintain the
lineair path between EL2.1, EL3, EL4 and EL5.

If I have evidence that EL5 ships with something newer, I can proceed
upgrading openobex and obexftp.

> > So thanks to your mail I looked again to obexftp, updated openobex to 1.1
> > (with usb support on EL4, but please do check!) and upped obexftp to 0.19.
> > (obexftp 0.20 has problems with openobex 1.1, likely needs an openobex
> > update)
>
> Actually, I wasn't able to compile obexftp 0.20 even with openobex 1.3.
> So I'm using 1.3 and 0.19 here.

I tried it as well on my FC5 and failed equally. But I did not look into
the problem because I couldn't release them anyway.

> > Let me know if this improves the experience.
>
> Unfortunatelly my phone is not supported by openobex 1.1, so I
> really can't test. But it should work ok for plenty of other
> phones now.

I have a nokia 6230i and that one worked with openobex 1.0.1 and obexftp
0.10.3 and is now working with openobex 1.1 and obexftp 0.19. But I am
using bluetooth, not USB.

If the problem is a particular USB problem you might be right. But the
OBEX implementation has no problem with my Nokia 6230i. Unless there is a
very big difference between an 6230 and a 6230i from the obex point of
view.

So I would urge you to try it nevertheless and update the website. It is
possible that the person who committed this just entered what he
conveniently had available, not the minimum requirements.

> Great work as usual, Dag.

You're welcome. Now if only there was a better tool to download files in
bulk (or sync the filesystem with phone). I always intended to use
python-obexftp for this purpose.

Maybe obexfs (a fuse module) is the way to go with EL5. (I've been waiting
to properly use infrared and bluetooth since at least RH7)

Kind regards,