[CentOS] CentOS vs. Nokia Phones

Troy Engel tengel at fluid.com
Sat Aug 19 18:44:47 UTC 2006

Rodrigo Barbosa wrote:

> I have been trying to access my Nokia 6230 using a DKU-2 data cable from
> CentOS, with some weird results.

I fought this battle on a Fedora Core system (even to the point of
making a standalone kernel module out of gnokii's DKU2 support), and let
me tell you -- in the end, it's not worth it and you don't get a lot of
features.(*)

My personal recommendation is to buy a cheap Bluetooth USB dongle ($15
Belkin works great) and use that instead, along with "gammu":

   http://www.gammu.org/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

My 6230(b) works perfectly over BT with gammu, full filesystem
management, contacts/sms/etc. backup and restore, modem use - all that
and a bag of chips. I use a Symbian device these days, but I can't
imagine the 6230 support has been broken.

$0.02 USD
-te

(*) The beginnings of some of my (mis)adventures of DKU2:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.drivers.gammu/2114/focus=2114

--
Troy Engel | Systems Engineer
Fluid Inc. | http://www.fluid.com