[CentOS] [OT] RedHat's licence, CentOS rebuild

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Sun Aug 20 02:36:09 UTC 2006

Let me reply to something that gave a bad taste in my mouth.

On Sat, 19 Aug 2006, Alain Reguera wrote:
> On 8/19/06, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:
> > On Sat, 19 Aug 2006, Alain Reguera wrote:
> >
> > > Our question was, why continue using something that they don't want we
> > > use, even in a rebuild from them?, but even worst when we reached to
> > > love them?. (please, no offence here)
> >
> > I dont understand your question. Who is the 'they' and who is the 'we',
> > and who do you love ?
>
> with "they" I refer to redhat (the main builder, who give the sources)
>
> with "we" I refer to my friends and I, and maybe the others that could
> be in the same situation of us.

So your question implies that they (Red Hat) do not want us (you and
your friends) to use CentOS ? I don't agree with your implication.

What if you otherwise would use Windows, Ubuntu, SuSE, MacOS X ?
I'm pretty sure that Red Hat prefers you use CentOS instead of something
non Red Hat.

Also it helps people to learn to know the product, or run it at home at no
cost while using it at work with Red Hat's support. Again, something I'm
sure Red Hat prefers than most other options.

But then I wonder why you would care what Red Hat thinks about something
they support (indirectly). CentOS offers them more people to test-run
their distribution. It provides RHEL users with more documentation and a
much bigger community they can take advantage of.

In an interview with Fedora's Project Leader Max Spevack this was said:

  Spevack is especially interested in encouraging distributions like
  CentOS that are based upon Fedora or RHEL. "I would hope that these
  people would think of Fedora Project as their upstream, and that they
  would want to help us," he says. "Because that ends up being a direct
  benefit to them."

	Fedora Board chair looks ahead
	http://os.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=06/05/15/1729249&from=rss

CentOS has lots of advantages for Red Hat and its customers. They may not
admit it explicitly in public, but it's hard to deny.

Kind regards,