[CentOS] [OT] RedHat's licence, CentOS rebuild

Sun Aug 20 13:46:31 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-08-20 at 14:54 +0200, Daniel de Kok wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-08-20 at 08:33 -0400, Alain Reguera wrote:
> > maybe you are not in the list I refer as "we". would like to know how
> > you'll feel if you see your country in the line 67-68 of this file:
> > http://olpc.download.redhat.com/olpc/rawhide-snapshots/2006-05-27-0237/eula.txt
>
> That has nothing to do with Red Hat, but US export regulations.
> Exporting Fedora/RHEL (or any other US-located Linux distribution that
> integrates strong encryption) violates US export laws. Many countries
> have comparable regulations. Refer to the following survey for more
> information:
>
> http://rechten.uvt.nl/koops/cryptolaw/
>
> > for a minute, feel like one of "we" and maybe you have the answer that
> > is needed. (please, I appreciate your comment, don't confuse mine)
>
> I think that many opensource/free software developers would prefer to
> have no export restrictions on cryptography. But we are all bound by
> these laws, so there is not much that can be done about this issue
> (besides convincing people that cryptography actually helps protecting
> citizens).

I wish that the law did not exist either ... however it does.  As Daniel
said, it is not a RedHat thing at all.  It is a government thing.  The
law is the law, and one must comply.

As Karanbir said, CentOS is a UK entity ... therefore must comply with
UK export restrictions.  Look at Daniel's link to see what those are.