[CentOS] Flash streams sound distorted

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Sun Aug 20 21:12:48 UTC 2006

On 8/20/06, fredex <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us> wrote:
> Hi gang!
>
> I'm hoping for some advice here,...
>
> I've been having this problem for a while and have come to the point where
> I need someone else's guidance/suggestions/help...
>
> I'm running a Cenotos-4 system. It was originally a TAO Linux-1 system,
> that was upgraded to Tao-4, and subsequently switched (via yum, using the
> procedure created by the Tao maintainer with--I assume--assitance from the
> Centos maintainers) to Centos-4.

I have seen this issue with some sound-cards.. what is the sound card
you are using, what are the options that are in /etc/modprobe.conf,
and what is your other hardware (memory, cpu, chipset.)

There are 3 reasons I have found for sound changes:
1) Chipset issues that can be corrected with a bios update (if the
sound is embedded). The newer kernel driver expects certain access to
the hardware and the BIOS needs a kick.
2) Chipset issues that need an updated kernel module. ALSA changes are
a major issue. I had to keep getting dkms modules for my sound card
for a while because the newer ALSA covered the card but the kernel
didnt.
3) Flash is optimized for Flash-9 and doesnt sound good in Flash-7