[CentOS] build Centos source/rpms from scratch...

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Sun Aug 20 21:24:01 UTC 2006

Please don't top post in mailing list replies. It's not considered
"proper" behavior.

> not a school project, a machine is having intermittent crashes, and i want
> to know more detailed information.. so i need to have a debug kernel in
> order to keep testing.

What are you calling a debug kernel? There seems to be a
miscommunication or trouble getting the idea of what you're trying to
do across?

> the issue with the kernel-debuginfo, is that it appears to essentially be
> the OS with the debug/symbolic information. you apparently don't actually
> run the rpm/app after it's installed.. but it gives the 'crash' app the
> ability to match/resolve symbolic information in the event of a crash/hang
> within the OS....

How does this differ from your 'debug kernel'?

> you supplied me with info that i had eventually found after hours of
> searching... i had created debug kernel scenarios years ago, but needed to
> be sure things hadn't changed...

I'm still unclear how this relates to the original post of rebuilding
the CentOS distribution, and to some extent I don't overly follow how
changing to a kernel of your own creation will help you troubleshoot a
crash you think is related to the provided kernel.

George Orwell