[CentOS] Cool 'n Quiet

Kai Schaetzl maillists at conactive.com
Mon Aug 21 12:10:35 UTC 2006

Sudev Barar wrote on Mon, 21 Aug 2006 06:18:33 +0530:

> None. Is this really problem with CPU's?

It seems so since it goes away when using the single CPU kernel.

> Difficult to debug with information provided.

Sure. ;-) I see this on an X2 4200+ and on an X2 3800+ EE. Motherboard for
both is from Gigabyte with Nvidia 430 chipset (MCP51). Chipset driver from
Nvidia is installed (forcedeth has a problem with the built-in network
card). It only happens in Gnome, I didn't try other window managers. When
I type in the Terminal window or in gedit I basically cannot type a single
word without at least one character getting repeated, sometimes several
dozen of it in an instant, quite often each and every character gets
repeated. Happens with every key, including ENTER. The only way I can
prevent this is to type very slowly, say type a character, wait a second,
type next character. But even then it can happen, but very seldom. Or I
switch off key repetition. It's got nothing to do with the repeat rate or
interval. It doesn't happen on the console or via ssh terminal. That's why
I hoped installing the graphics driver from Nvidia as well might solve the
problem. But it doesn't. Using the single CPU kernel fixes this it, so I
think it's directly related to it and has nothing to do with chipset or
so.

There's another problem I encountered yesterday and first thought it's
related to powernow-k8. With powernow-k8 system time runs too fast. This
didn't seem to happen without it. However, now that I had it run over
night without powernow the time has leaped almost an hour again, so it
seems it happens without powernow as well. Could there be a connection?
It seems that at least this issue is very common with the SMP kernel and
there are several recommendations for kernel parameters, but I'm not sure
which one to try first or what they exactly do:

clock=pmtmr notsc
noapictimer
no_timer_check

Kai