[CentOS] Re: [OT] RedHat's licence, CentOS rebuild

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Mon Aug 21 16:26:19 UTC 2006

Alain Reguera spake the following on 8/19/2006 5:18 PM:
> Hi Karan... confessed I was a little afraid of bother ... thank for
> reply and take the time
>
> On 8/19/06, Karanbir Singh
> <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:
>> Hi Alain,
>>
>> Alain Reguera wrote:
>> > Thanks, Karan. Feel your kindness here. I really would like to know
>> > someone who can clear this to me,
>>
>> your lawyer should be able to help surely ?
>
> well, if I would have one maybe should help, but I don't :(. About
> this kind of topic in my city I don't know any legal person with
> authority in these licence topics. If there is someone on internet who
> I could ask for...I'll be very interested in do so.
>
>> > Our question was, why continue using something that they don't want we
>> > use, even in a rebuild from them?, but even worst when we reached to
>> > love them?. (please, no offence here)
>>
>> I dont understand your question. Who is the 'they' and who is the 'we',
>> and who do you love ?
>
> with "they" I refer to redhat (the main builder, who give the sources)
>
> with "we" I refer to my friends and I, and maybe the others that could
> be in the same situation of us.
>
> and with "love" I mean that have been some years using and trying to
> understand how something works make me feel a part of it, In this
> moment part of CentOS that was who give me the direct possibility of
> use. I refer to the organization and how the things work, and the idea
> that I've been making of things. Those things that make the
> differences with other distros.
>
>> Or, are you asking this list why you should use CentOS even if you dont
>> want to use it ? If that is indeed the question then the answer is
>> simple - dont. Its a free world, you have the liberty to make a choice
>> and use whatever you want.
>
> no, no, no ... I definitely do want to use CentOS, and the way all is
> organize on it. Just worried about that file I saw in fedora, and my
> country discrimination. Because fedora is from redhat ..., and CentOS
> is rebuild from redhat ...  just to know the legal influences of that
> restriction with what I am using now. Trying to see if from a legal
> point of view the use of CentOS is legally permitted to me.

Since CentOS does NOT have the text you refer to in Fedora, then why could you
not use it?
If you are worried about your local laws, then your country should have an
agency that controls import and export. Maybe they can answer your question.
As to the connection of RedHat to Fedora as opposed to the lack of a
connection between RedHat and CentOS, that is easy. RedHat runs and has some
control over Fedora as they use Fedora as a test ground for their paid for
offerings. CentOS just takes the source that RedHat offers freely with only a
restriction over their own copyrighted parts (images, logos and the actual
name RedHat). They remove or change all the copyrighted parts and release a
freely usable and distributable linux.
I can see no reason a country would ban its use other than political or
control of the population issues. RedHat's biggest issue with outside
countries is the export of cryptology from the United States to the countries
in its "list". Since CentOS is not a US entity, it doesn't fall under this
restriction

Look at http://www.redhat.com/f/pdf/corp/trademark1.pdf
and http://www.centos.org/modules/smartfaq/faq.php?faqid=13

--