[CentOS] Anyone gotten qemu to operate in bride network mode on centos 4

Jerry Geis

geisj at pagestation.com
Mon Aug 21 20:45:39 UTC 2006

I have been asking on the qemu list how to get bridge network mode
working under centos 4... To no avail.

The following script is what I have tried as my /etc/qemu-ifup. It
supposedly worked for fedora.

#!/bin/sh
#
# qemu_up
#
# script to bring up the tun device in QEMU in bridged mode
#
# This script bridges eth0 and tap0. First take eth0 down, then bring it up with IP 0.0.0.0
#
/sbin/ifdown eth0
/sbin/ifconfig eth0 0.0.0.0 up
#
# Bring up tap0 with IP 0.0.0.0, create bridge br0 and add interfaces eth0 and tap0
#
/sbin/ifconfig tap0 0.0.0.0 promisc up
/usr/sbin/brctl addbr br0
/usr/sbin/brctl addif br0 eth0
/usr/sbin/brctl addif br0 tap0
#
# As we have only a single bridge and loops are not possible, turn spanning tree protocol off
#
/usr/sbin/brctl stp br0 off
#
# Bring up the bridge with IP 192.168.1.10 and add the default route
#
/sbin/ifconfig br0 192.168.1.10 up
/sbin/route add default gw 192.168.1.1
#stop firewalls
/sbin/service firestarter stop
/sbin/service iptables stop

Does anyone have qemu working in a bridged network mode and can share...
I would appreciate it.
When I boot my guest OS I do not get a DHCP address.

Jerry