[CentOS] syslogd/klogd problem on CentOS4.3

Jeff Liu

jeffliutor at gmail.com
Tue Aug 22 03:55:53 UTC 2006

Hi all,

I have installed a CentOS4.3 box and migrated some application from
FC1 to the new box, everything else runs perfectly except
syslogd/klogd.

/etc/rc.d/init.d/syslog starts without any problem, but there is
nothing logged into /var/log/messages, even I restart the service.
However, I tried to shut the service down and run "syslogd -m 0 &" and
"klogd -x &" as root from shell, it works good.

I have spent a lot of time, but still can not figure out why it does
not work when starts by init as a daemon.

Anybody had the same issue before? Any suggestion is highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff L