[CentOS] Kind of OT: internal imap server

Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu

m3freak at rogers.com
Tue Aug 22 04:50:03 UTC 2006

Hi Everyone,

I'm running a Postfix+Dovecot+SpamAssassin box in a DMZ.  Everything is
honkey dorey.
Lately I've been thinking about moving Dovecot (for IMAP) into the
internal network - I'd rather not store my mail on the CentOS 4 host in
the DMZ.

Not having done this before, I'm not quite sure what options I have.
Also, I don't know if this is a good idea at all.  So:

1. Should I just leave mail storage on the same box in the DMZ?
2. If the answer to 1 is no, what's the best way to get mail from the
SMTP server in the DMZ to an IMAP server in the internal network?
Here's what I've briefly considered:

   DMZ Postfix+SpamAssassin -> Internal Postfix+Dovecot
   DMZ Postfix+SpamAssassin -> Internal Fetchmail+Dovecot

3. Any tutorials for this out there, or even articles, etc., discussing
using Postfix as a gateway?  So far, I haven't found any that I've
liked.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards,

Ranbir