[CentOS] [OT] RedHat's licence, CentOS rebuild

William L. Maltby BillsCentOS at triad.rr.com
Tue Aug 22 06:44:53 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-08-20 at 23:30 +0200, Dag Wieers wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Aug 2006, Alain Reguera Delgado wrote:

> If a CentOS developer from the US rebuilds a package on a UK server and
> releases it, does he export something ? I don't think so.

Gotta be more nimble Dag! The good old "land of the free..." has now
decided to persecute (prosecute if you believe they are doing the right
thing) their U.S. Citizens who went off-shore many years ago and have
never returned. They wanted to run an on-line gambling biz in accordance
with the laws of the host country. Now our gov't is going to extradite
(or kidnap?) them and charge them with racketeering and violation of
U.S. gambling laws even though *none* of their activities actually took
place in any physical location of the U.S.

I hate what we have become.

> So imagine the CentOS build servers are in the UK, the US export laws do
> not apply.

Give the good old U.S. time. We'll find a way to make *our* laws apply.
Maybe another invasion?

--
Bill