[CentOS] Kind of OT: internal imap server

Ralph Angenendt ra+centos at br-online.de
Tue Aug 22 07:33:26 UTC 2006

Feizhou wrote:
> Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu wrote:
>>Lately I've been thinking about moving Dovecot (for IMAP) into the
>>internal network - I'd rather not store my mail on the CentOS 4 host in
>>the DMZ.
>
> Why?

Because you don't want to have sensitive data in the demilitarized zone?
I know that I don't want to.

>>2. If the answer to 1 is no, what's the best way to get mail from the
>>SMTP server in the DMZ to an IMAP server in the internal network?
>>Here's what I've briefly considered:
>>
>>   DMZ Postfix+SpamAssassin -> Internal Postfix+Dovecot
>>   DMZ Postfix+SpamAssassin -> Internal Fetchmail+Dovecot

The first one. Pinch a hole in your firewall which *only* allows smtp
from that *one* host to the internal host.
>>3. Any tutorials for this out there, or even articles, etc., discussing
>>using Postfix as a gateway?  So far, I haven't found any that I've
>>liked.

Look at the relaydomains and the transports tables from postfix. Make
sure that your domain isn't in $mydestinations. Make sure that your
domain gets relayed (and transported) to the internal mailserver.

> It is a little bit involved. But first answer the question of why you
> want to move before we explore this.

I wonder why that should be necessary - it's his decision, and I can
really understand, why he's making it.

Ralph
--
Ralph Angenendt......ra at br-online.de | .."Text processing has made it possible
Bayerischer Rundfunk...80300 München | ....to right-justify any idea, even one