[CentOS] Struggling with javac

John Hinton

webmaster at ew3d.com
Tue Aug 22 21:24:45 UTC 2006

I've installed jdk-1_5_0_08-linux-i586.rpm and Tomcat.

Working through some initial test install programs, I am finding that I
can't seem to compile .java files into classes.

For instance...

javac -classpath /usr/local/tomcat/common/lib/servlet.jar HelloWorld.java

as instructed fails with a

gij: unrecognized option -- `-classpath'
Try `gij --help' for more information.

So then I notice there is no servlet.jar file, but instead a
servlet-api.jar.. I change the command and it fails with the same
problem. Trying the command without the -class and without the path
fails with path errors. So it's sort of like this -classpath switch is
either pathed wrong somewhere or is deprecated?

This is on a CentOS 3 server. Anybody run into this? Do you have a solution?

Thanks,
John Hinton