[CentOS] Kind of OT: internal imap server

Jaymz Ringler jaymz-lists at unitedtransport.net
Tue Aug 22 22:38:16 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-08-22 at 00:50 -0400, Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I'm running a Postfix+Dovecot+SpamAssassin box in a DMZ.  Everything is
> honkey dorey.
> Lately I've been thinking about moving Dovecot (for IMAP) into the
> internal network - I'd rather not store my mail on the CentOS 4 host in
> the DMZ.
>
> Not having done this before, I'm not quite sure what options I have.
> Also, I don't know if this is a good idea at all.  So:
>
> 1. Should I just leave mail storage on the same box in the DMZ?
> 2. If the answer to 1 is no, what's the best way to get mail from the
> SMTP server in the DMZ to an IMAP server in the internal network?
> Here's what I've briefly considered:

A simple solution if you have an extra machine..   install qmail on a
new box...  put it into your DMZ to collect mail.   You then set a
simple smtproute to forward all mail to your inner mail server's ip.

There are no user accounts/passwords on the DMZ mail gateway and no mail
stored (sensitive data) on the DMZ mail gateway machine.

It simply accepts all email for your domain, and simply forwards it
through the DMZ pinhole to your internal mail server.   If you want you
could also have it handle antivirus, spam and rblsmtpd listing.