[CentOS] Kind of OT: internal imap server

Feizhou feizhou at graffiti.net
Wed Aug 23 04:11:52 UTC 2006

> Well, I'd rather keep all of my (I have a small consulting company) mail
> on the inside, making it harder to get to.  So, I'd say it's to secure
> the mail storage some more.

If you don't have to make it accessible outside then you just have to
worry only about getting the mails in.

> I realize email is whizzing around the net in plain text (for the most
> part) and can be easily sniffed.  I just think keeping mail in the
> internal network would be a little safer than leaving it on a Internet
> facing box.

Of course and if you don't have to make it accessible on the Internet
then by all means.

If you don't have an awful lot of email addresses you could just use a
simple Berkeley DB table of them to prevent your mx box from becoming an
outscatter box and saving bandwidth. All configuration will be done by
editing files. It also means less integration work to do.

The alternatives are ldap, mysql or postgresql for storage of certain
information such as authentication data, mail store path and either
building and integrating the pieces of the system yourself or trying to
integrate available pieces.