[CentOS] web based mail packages for CentOS

James Marcinek jmarc1 at jemconsult.biz
Wed Aug 23 16:33:56 UTC 2006

Ed,

Thanks for your help. I learned a lot yesterday about both applications but in the end I deployed Zimbra. It's supposedly integrated with AD as my tests indicate successful. Still not sure how to use it as I still have to create user id's.

This wasn't really the main factor, it was a nice thing to have. When I deployed scalix the mail didn't work even after creating accounts?

Zimbra did and installed the whole package (amavisd, spamassasin, postfix, imap, etc).

I know Scalix mentions it as a capability but I wasn't sure if this required more configuration as well as other packages...

It was a tough call and I give kudo's to both. Scalix has a nice installer GUI which shows a level of maturity. It also has the ability to start and stop services which I don't think Zimbra can do from the webGUI.

On the other hand Zimbra has some good webGUI queue management tools as well as letting you see what's going on.

In the end the presentation of the user web interface looked a little better to me.

I believe both have a good command line environment.

That's my 60 second take on the matter. I could have missed some things I went back and forth 3 or 4 times yesterday to finalize my decision.

Oh in both cases uninstall was very easy...

thanks,

James