[CentOS] Centos 4.3 + KDE + mtrr error

Leonardo Vilela Pinheiro

leopinheiro at gmail.com
Wed Aug 23 21:51:21 UTC 2006

Hello. I'm running Centos 4.3 with KDE from CentOS. There're some
"unsupported" packages, like kernel 2.6.9-34.108.plus.c4smp, Picasa and
Google Earth.

Picasa and Google Earth had never showed critical problems (before),
although they're beta versions.

Today, I started Picasa and Google Earth at the same time, and the X became
a black screen, like it was killed and was just trying to start again, but
couldn't. The xdm mouse cursor showed up, but suddenly disappeared again,
and this was looping forever.

Then I went into another computer, 'ssh'ed into that one, and typed 'dmesg'.
The last important lines are these:
application Picasa2 uses obsolete OSS audio interface
[drm:i915_wait_irq] *ERROR* i915_wait_irq: EBUSY -- rec: 3123 emitted: 3125
mtrr: base(0x80020000) is not aligned on a size(0x300000) boundary
(this last line kept repeating many times)

'top' showed almost 100% for process X, that disappeared and appeared again
with a different PID. It seems that X got killed for some reason, and xdm
was trying to start up again, but got killed every time with that mtrr
error.

My video is Intel 945 onboard, but I guess it uses Intel 915 driver, so that
i915 makes sense. I think this problem has to do with the video card/driver.

Could someone explain to me what may have happened ?

--
Vilela