[CentOS] Kind of OT: internal imap server

Rodrigo Barbosa rodrigob at darkover.org
Thu Aug 24 05:10:22 UTC 2006

On Wed, Aug 23, 2006 at 11:38:14PM -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-08-23 at 23:22, Feizhou wrote:
> > I guess that is all long past now is it?
>
> No one edits sendmail.cf directly anymore and milter has been
> stable for about as long as postfix has existed at all.
> Postfix still doesn't have a way to let you hook user
> defined scanners running under a different uid to run
> in realtime during the smtp conversation, does it?  MimeDefang
> lets you do anything you can describe in perl and return the response
> through the milter interface for various operations
> before the mail has been acknowledged as accepted.

Well, this is obviously just my personal option, but:

sendmail - No longer the security nightmare it used to be, but it is
	   the slower of the bunch.

postfix  - The easiest to configure. Has enough features and speed
           to keep most people happy.

exim     - Fast and powerful. Lots of features and highly configurable.
           But ONLY if you know very well what you are going. Not as
	   hard as sendmail to configure (think sendmail.cf), but
           much harder than postfix. Expecially recomended for people
	   (like me) that enjoy micromanaging and customizing every
           small detail. ACL features are a god given.

qmail    - (Take with a grain of salt, since I dislike dbj) A pain.
           It is fast and secure, as long as you use the stock
           package. But you will need to include several external
           packages to get even basic functionality, and everything
           about it (except SMTP protocol itself) is non standard,
	   and the configuration is spread between a lot of files
           and directories. But it really is fast (slightly faster
           than exim in some cases, about the same in others).

As you can see, I use Exim so, again, take another grain of salt.
My current exim setup is, as far as I know, impossible to reproduce
with any other MTA, unless you use several external hacks (multiple
instances with different configurations, with port redirection, to
name just one).

But most of the time, when recomending a MTA to others, I say
postfix.

- --
Rodrigo Barbosa