[CentOS] Re: rhel 4.4 perl update looses weakref support?

Dag Wieers

dag at wieers.com
Thu Aug 24 07:52:36 UTC 2006

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006, nathan r. hruby wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Aug 2006, John Summerfield wrote:
>
> > nathan r. hruby wrote:
> >
> > > I have a user running RT on a RHEL4 machine.  He recently did the RHEL4.4
> > > update and now it appears that the Tree::Simple module (a requirement of
> > > RT) is broken, as it was built with weakref support that was in a prior
> > > perl package and it appears that the new perl-5.8.5-36 package has lost
> > > that support.
> > >
> > > Red Hat Bugzilla has nothing about this particular issue that I can find.
> > > Anyone else experienced this?
> > >
> > > Obviously, we're an .edu and thus can't call support and actually expect
> > > help.  But before setting this user on bugzilla, I thought I'd ask if
> > > anyone else might have any knowledge of this.  The Best Practical RT Wiki
> > > has some info on this, but evidently the user tried the suggestions there
> > > with no luck.
> >
> > Why not check the changelong (rpm -q perl --changelong | less), and get the
> > source rpm and check the spec file (you could compare with the previous
> > version), and if needs bem build it the way you want?
>
> The changelog has nothing on this particular subject and I haven't had a
> moment to peek at the source RPM's to see what has changed.
>
> I really don't want to rebuild and maintain a separate perl instance if I
> don't have to ;-)

It would be nice if the CentOS project had (and offered) a subversion
repository where the SPEC file (and patches) of official SRPMs are stored
(an tagged accordingly). This could be set up automatically and fed
automatically.

Having something like this would help a lot of people trace problems and
it would help people rebuilding packages to see what changes have been
made by Red Hat. Fastrack and beta packages would give a few of ongoing
changes and people could subscribe to the "svn-commits" as the are being
made.

Of course, this would not hold the CentOS specific changes (or other
CentOS related projects) only the upstream changes. Otherwise it would be
harder to follow.

If this sounds interesting, I'm willing to offer to design and implement
this.

PS Sorry for replying to a different mailinglist, I actually wrote this
mail and luckily I noticed in time it was not on a CentOS related
mailinglist. :)

Kind regards,