[CentOS] cups configuration question

Craig White

craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Aug 24 15:56:24 UTC 2006

Using cups web, I configured 2 copies of a Canon color copier and on one
of them, I configured it use a black and white only.

This works fine for localhost printing.

The cups queues are shared with other hosts on the subnet. They
automatically see the printers but when they print to the shared queue,
the page comes out in color unless they specifically change it and do
not consider the cups configuration option.

as far as I can tell, the difference is in the ppd file that is saved by
the cups web interface...

grep DefaultColorModel ppd/Canon_5870*
ppd/Canon_5870_bw.ppd:*DefaultColorModel: Gray
ppd/Canon_5870.ppd:*DefaultColorModel: Default

which I would have thought would have been transmitted to the user
printing via a cups shared printer but it isn't.

Any thoughts?

Craig