[CentOS] Switching off color on console

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Fri Aug 25 09:20:36 UTC 2006

On Fri, 25 Aug 2006, Thomas Prangenberg wrote:

> Petr "Qaxi" Klíma schrieb:
> >
> > Ken McLennan napsal(a):
> >> G'day there One & All,

> >>     Wouldn't it be in the man page for the terminal software?
> >
> > There is no terminal software. (except sw managing "virtual consoles"
> > <you know Alt+F1 .. F6> and I do not know where to look for info.
> >
> > It is VGA display connected directly to VGA card ...
>
> in /etc/DIR_COLORS change line "color tty" to "color none"

The notion of color is part of the terminal capabilities. And the answer
should be, change the default TERM environment variable to linux-m instead
of linux.

Still I looked for the proper place to set the TERM environment and I
could not find where one should put it. Either mingetty should be told
(which apparently is not possible) or one can do it conditionally based on
tty being used.

Both will not change the colors seen during the boot process. Maybe this
is a good question for Red Hat's knowledgebase or bugzilla ?

It probably is a kernel boot parameter.

Kind regards,